Mnemonic description of Song:
What is known about chipping sparrow song?
- One song type: trill
- Steady pitch (Borror 1959a)
- Individuals vary in rate of trill (number of syllables per second) (Borror 1959a, Marler and Isaac 1960b) and pitch (Kroodsma 2005)
- Alternate and overlap song of neighbor (Kroodsma 2005)
How and when is song acquired?
- Importance of learning and sensitive period unknown (Albrecht & Oring 1995)
- Young male imitates the song of just one adult (Kroodsma 2005)
How can we facilitate learning?
- House outdoors as soon as possible where singing adults can be heard
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Find out if tapes are effective xxxxxxxxxxxx
Albrecht, D. J. and L. W. Oring. (1995). Song in Chipping Sparrows, Spizella passerina, structure and function. Animal Behaviour 50:1233-1241.
Borror, D. J. 1959a. Songs of the Chipping Sparrow. Ohio Journal of Science 59:347-356.
Kroodsma D. E. 2005. The Singing Life of Birds. New York: Houghton Mifflin. 313-20.
Marler, P. and D. Isaac. 1960b. Physical analysis of a simple bird song as exemplified by the Chipping Sparrow. Condor 62:124-135.